Rage Against The Machine guitarist Tom Morello is a huge presence on High Hopes, the new album from Bruce Springsteen that is due out on January 14th, 2014. According to Billboard, Morello is featured on eight of the set’s 12 tracks, including the title song, the controversial “American Skin (41 Shots)” and “The Ghost Of Tom Joad,” which Springsteen and Morello have performed live together many times.
- The disc itself is a collection of covers, new songs and previously performed material, all freshly recorded or re-recorded in the past year.
- Springsteen credits Morello with the idea of adding the song “High Hopes” to his live set last year, writing in the CD liner notes, “Tom and his guitar became my muse, pushing the rest of this project to another level. Thanks for the inspiration Tom.”
- Morello temporarily joined Springsteen’s E Street Band for its 2013 Australian tour when Steve Van Zandt was unable to go due to commitments with his TV series, Lilyhammer.
- The album also includes previously unreleased material featuring both E Street saxophonistClarence Clemons and keyboardist Danny Federici, who passed away in 2011 and 2008 respectively.
- In addition to performing with Springsteen, Morello has done solo shows as The Nightwatchman in the past couple of years and contributed to film soundtracks, although Rage Against The Machine has not played live since 2011.