Metallica will play a series of European dates next summer in which the set list will be almost entirely made up of fan requests, according to an announcement made by the band on Tuesday (November 26th). In addition, the last slot in the set list will be filled by a brand new song, presumably from the group’s upcoming 10th studio album.
As for the status of that long-awaited new record, frontman James Hetfield gave us an update: “Well, we have tons of material to sift through after the last couple of tours a little. So coming back here, sifting through all that material, that takes a lot of time, ’cause there’s a lot of great stuff. There’s 800 riffs we’re going through, you know, it’s kind of insane. You know, we have sifted through a lot of the stuff and pulled the cream of the crop, and it’s just sitting there waiting for us to take it to the next level.”
- Drummer Lars Ulrich said about the upcoming European shows, “We are once again psyched to break free of the four walls in the studio to get energized by our devoted European friends for a couple of weeks next May and June. On top of that, the fact that all our nutty fans will pick the songs we play should be some next level fun and take a big load off my shoulders as the guy who usually writes the set list!”
- Fans who purchase tickets online to the European dates will be invited to vote on the set list Metallica will play at their show, choosing from close to 140 recorded songs.
- The band’s traditional 18-song set will include the 17 top voted songs along with a brand new track. Fans can track the votes for their show at Metallica’s official website.
- The first show will take place in Hamburg, Germany on June 4th with additional dates announced in Nuremberg, Germany on June 6th and Nurburgring, Germany on the 8th.
- Metallica’s next concert will take place on December 8th, when the band performs in Antarctica at the Carlini Argentine Base for a small audience of fans and contest winners.
- Metallica also recently announced that its IMAX 3D concert film, Metallica Through The Never, will arrive on DVD, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, video on demand and digital, with extensive behind-the-scenes content, on January 28th, 2014 through Metallica’s own label, Blackened Recordings.