Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer frontman Maynard James Keenan has mapped out his own 24-hour film festival in an interview with The A.V. Club, saying it would include at least one cult classic, some weird arthouse fare and adding that it would have to include something starring Denzel Washington.
About his fixation with Washington, Keenan said, “I guess I’m a product of American living. Germans love David Hasselhoff and I just love Denzel Washington. I can’t explain it. It’s that guilty pleasure. It’s almost like when you’re a kid and you have your blanket. He’s my comfort blanket.”
- Keenan cited the 1986 David Lynch classic Blue Velvet as a must for his festival, saying, “Blue Velvet was a game changer for me. It brought out some of the darker sides of my friends. They were more into Porky’s and Fast Times At Ridgemont High, and then, all of a sudden, they discovered Blue Velvet and it really flipped a switch.”
- The singer also cited two indie titles, 1997’s Gummo and 2004’s Napoleon Dynamite, explaining, “One is in Ohio and the other is in Idaho, but to me, having grown up in Ohio, there’s one side of the tracks where Gummo is happening and on the other side of the tracks, Napoleon Dynamite is happening.”
- Other films on Keenan’s make-believe festival schedule include Happiness, Videodrome, Repo Manand the Vin Diesel sci-fi bomb The Chronicles Of Riddick, about which he says, “It’s sci-fi but you have this one-liner dude that’s just awful. It’s so great.”
- As for his own acting, Keenan has appeared in a few indie films and as a dog walker in Crank 2: High Voltage, but has no plans to delve further into that profession. He explained, “I have no experience or natural acting ability, so I would have to stop everything I’m doing to justify being in a film. I’d have to really work at it.”
- Keenan has hinted in recent months that new music from Tool is finally coming out in 2014.
See the entire Keenan interview at http://avc.lu/JxsQUt