Underway this weekend in San Francisco is Kirk Von Hammett’s Fear FestEvil, a three-day horror convention founded and hosted by Metallica guitarist and lifelong horror fan Kirk Hammett. The event kicked off on Thursday (February 6th) and lasts through Saturday (February 8th), and Hammett told us what he envisioned for it:
[“I’ve gone to San Diego Comic-Con, and I was just struck by how all it really is is a bunch of stuff to look at and a bunch of stuff to buy. What I wanted to do with my convention is I wanted it to be an experience, you know. I wanted it to be interactive, I wanted it to have ambiance and atmosphere, and I wanted it to be unique and thrilling, and that’s what we’re trying to do here.”
- Fear FestEvil will feature vendors, “Kirk’s Crypt” private tours, panels, signings, special guest appearances and more.
- Also on tap are performances from hardcore metal acts Exodus, Death Angel, Carcass and Orchid. Hammett has confirmed that he will join Exodus and Death Angel onstage for their encores.
- Among the weekend’s guests are Slash, The Walking Dead producer/makeup artist Greg Nicotero, legendary Dawn Of The Dead makeup man Tom Savini, Halloween star P.J. Soles, Friday The 13th star Kane Hodder, Re-Animator star Barbara Crampton, Sara Karloff, and many others.
- Hammett, a lifelong horror fan, released a coffee table book in 2012 called Too Much Horror Business that featured photos of his extensive collection of monster and horror memorabilia.
- He displayed a portion of his collection in the “Kirk’s Crypt” exhibition during the 2012 and 2013 Orion Music + More festivals.