Halestorm, Corey Taylor and Metallica lead the lineup of artists who have contributed tracks to This Is Your Life, a tribute album to late Black Sabbath and Dio vocalist Ronnie James Dio due out April 1st. The 14-song collection also features covers of classic songs featuring the late singer from Motorhead, Scorpions, Anthrax, Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford, Killswitch Engage and more. Proceeds from sales of the album will go to the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund.
- The set is produced by Dio’s longtime manager and wife Wendy Dio.
- Ronnie James Dio was one of the most influential heavy rock vocalists of his time, singing for Rainbow, Black Sabbath and his own self-named band in a career than spanned decades. He died of stomach cancer in 2010 at the age of 67.
- Stone Sour and Slipknot singer Corey Taylor shared his feelings about Dio at the time of his death:
- [“When I got that news that he had passed away, man, it seriously — it broke my heart. It broke it in two. Because honestly, I just feel like there will never be another Ronnie James Dio. He had such a pure voice — and still singing his ass off. I just know he’ll be missed, and I will miss him as well.”
- Among the highlights of the tribute album are Halestorm’s take on the Dio song “Straight Through The Heart,” Metallica’s Rainbow medley, titled “Ronnie Rising Medley,” as well as a version of the 1975 Rainbow tune “Catch The Rainbow,” performed by the final lineup of Dio’s solo band.
- The album also features Dio’s own performance of the title track, which he recorded for his 1996 album Angry Machines.
- Metallica frontman James Hetfield told Metal Hammer magazine, “We’re very honored to be a part of (the tribute album), and to be a part of a celebration of Ronnie’s life and his great contribution, man.”
SIDE NOTES: The This Is Your Life track listing (10 of the 14 tracks are previously unreleased):
1. “Neon Knights” – Anthrax
2. “The Last In Line” – Tenacious D
3. “The Mob Rules” – Adrenaline Mob
4. “Rainbow In The Dark” – Corey Taylor, Roy Mayorga, Satchel, Christian Martucci, Jason Christopher
5. “Straight Through The Heart” – Halestorm
6. “Starstruck” – Motorhead with Biff Byford
7. “Temple Of The King” – Scorpions
8. “Egypt (The Chains Are On)” – Doro
9. “Holy Diver” – Killswitch Engage
10. “Catch The Rainbow” – Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo, Scott Warren
11. “I” – Oni Logan, Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, Brian Tichy
12. “Man On The Silver Mountain” – Rob Halford, Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, Scott Warren
13. “Ronnie Rising Medley” (featuring “A Light In The Black”, “Tarot Woman”, “Stargazer”, “Kill The King”) – Metallica
14. “This Is Your Life” – Dio