Ex-Oasis singer Liam Gallagher took to Twitter late Thursday (April 24th) and sent a series of cryptic posts, one letter at a time, that ended up spelling the name of his former band. He later tweeted the name in full in case anyone missed his first string of posts. Gallagher did not elaborate further, but fans have taken it to mean that a reunion of the band could be in the works.
- Oasis disbanded in late summer 2009 after Liam and his brother, guitarist Noel Gallagher, came to blows backstage just before a show in Paris.
- Liam went on to form Beady Eye with several other Oasis members, while Noel launched Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds. Neither has achieved the success of Oasis.
- By all accounts, the siblings have not spoken since their estrangement. Noel has continually dismissed any chances of an Oasis reunion while Liam has been more open to it.
- Noel told us a while back the source of his problems with his brother:
- “When he’s drunk I don’t like him. When he’s sober, he’s all right. That’s it in a nutshell. When he’s sober we get along fine; when he’s drunk we generally want to kill each other — or I generally want to kill him.”
- Another former Oasis member, Paul “Bonehead” Arthurs, may have deflated fans’ hopes when he said that Liam’s tweets may have simply been inspired by the fact that the two of them were meeting that night for drinks.
- Asked what Liam could have meant, Arthurs said, “Probably the fact that I texted him going, ‘Meet me in the beer garden.’ That probably rattled his cage. Maybe that. I don’t know though, because I meet him every f***ing month. Maybe he’s just reminiscing.”