Who are Kongos? The band has had the Number One hit on the Modern Rock chart for weeks with “Come With Me Now.” The track is taken from the group’s debut album, Lunatic, which has been released three times since Kongos recorded it back in 2012. The band itself hails from South Africa and consists of four brothers: Johnny, Jesse, Dylan
- The brothers, who are of Greek backgrounds, grew up in London and South Africa but currently work as the band out of Phoenix, Arizona.
- Lunatic was originally released in South Africa in 2012 to huge success. The band issued it themselves in the U.S. in late October 2013.
- Drummer Jesse Kongos told the Phoenix New Times, “All the labels were aware of us and either passed or were in wait-and-see mode. We saw howLunatic worked in South Africa; we saw it work on radio and people coming to the shows and singing the words. But when a year passes and you still can’t get anything going here, it’s a worrisome thing.”
- After “Come With Me Now” began getting into commercials and attracting airplay, Epic Records signed Kongos in late January of this year and re-released Lunatic again.
- Kongos is currently wrapping up a U.S. tour as openers for Alice In Chains that ends on Friday (May 2nd) in Cherokee, North Carolina. The band will hit the festival circuit in the States and abroad throughout the summer.