Five Finger Death Punch singer Ivan Moody has come under fire for screaming obscene lyrics into the ear of a nine-year-old girl who was standing onstage during the band’s recent performance at the Fort Rock festival in Fort Myers, Florida. According to Blabbermouth, Fort Myers TV station WINK conducted an investigation into the incident, which was filmed by the girl’s dad who then posted it on YouTube.
- In the video, Moody can be seen standing with the little girl, named Olivia, and trying to get her to sing “Burn, motherf***er, burn” into the mic, which she doesn’t do.
- Olivia’s father, Mark Douglas, told WINK that those words weren’t too obscene for his daughter to hear. He explained, “It’s a bad word, yeah. It’s a word. That’s all it is. It’s a word . . . They’re going to hear it at school. They’re going to see it on TV, movies . . . It’s everywhere.” He added, “You’re not going to get rid of cussing, swearing.”
- However, a Fort Myers attorney named Miguel Fernandez had a different view, telling WINK, “This is a form of abuse. This child is being used as a prop. I feel sorry for this child. This child is helpless in that position. What does this child do? She’s frozen. To hear lyrics like that, what does it promote? It promotes violence. It promotes criminal mischief. It promotes . . . just chaos.”
- County Sheriff Mike Scott agreed with Fernandez, saying, “Words can’t describe my disgust, and this should never, ever be allowed in a county park.”
- The show’s promoter, Danny Wimmer, told the station, “While we may not always personally agree with the actions of particular artists performing at our festivals, we support free speech and artistic integrity.”
- Five Finger Death Punch plays Friday night (May 16th) in Peoria, Illinois and Columbus, Ohio’s Rock On The Range festival on Sunday (May 18th).