Arctic Monkeys frontman Alex Turner has wondered publicly whether Metallica is a suitable headliner for the U.K.’s Glastonbury Festival. Turner told Time Out that he’s a fan of Metallica, but continued, “I’m not sure it adds up. I know we’d buzz off it, but fundamentally could you have Metallica in the hippy nucleus?”
- Metallica is the first metal act to headline Glastonbury in its 44-year history.
- The quartet will headline the event on Saturday, June 28th, with Arcade Fire in the slot the previous night (June 27th) and Kasabian starring on June 29th.
- Arctic Monkeys headlined the festival for the second time in 2013.
- Metallica announced its Glastonbury gig with a statement saying, “We’ve made no secret that there was still one live music festival on our wish list that has eluded us . . . until now! It is with a great deal of pride that we announce that we have been tapped to headline the Pyramid Stage at theGlastonbury Festival.”
- Arctic Monkeys will headline two nights at London’s Finsbury Park this weekend (May 23rd and 24th) and will return to the U.S. for more live shows here next month.