Soundgarden/Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron and Soundgarden bassist Ben Shepherd have revealed the existence of a project with Alain Johannes — who’s played in Queens Of The Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures — and guitarist Dimitri Coats of the band Off!.
The band doesn’t have a name yet, but Shepherd told us that it started a while back:
“Years ago, Matt and I and Alain made a record, basically, that nothing’s ever happened with, so now they want to finish it off, and some guy Dimitri from Off! is gonna play guitar also.”
- Coats told Billboard.com that he first contacted Cameron through Facebook, saying, “They invited me to Seattle and it was really incredible. There was just an instant chemistry and a really creative and open situation where everybody’s passing around the guitar and throwing in ideas.”
- Coats described the project’s sound as “really heavy and doomy,” adding, “There’s some kind of heavy, bluesy moments and then there’s some really beautiful stuff, too.”
- There’s no word yet on when the music recorded by this new outfit will surface.
- Soundgarden is currently on the European summer festival circuit and will launch a North American tour with Nine Inch Nails on July 19th in Las Vegas.
- Cameron is only doing selected shows with Soundgarden this year due to commitments with Pearl Jam and his family.