Port Moody’s Rusty Johnson went down to Florida last weekend to compete in the World Food Championships. The best BBQers from all over descended on Kissimmee, Flordia to compete and earn the right to be crowned a world champion.
Rusty competed in the burger category and came in first place! He won $10,000 and the honour of having created the best burger in the world!
I had a chance to chat with Rusty and he shared what went into his world champion burger.
And here is the recipe for Rusty’s BBQ World Champion Burger
Ground short rib Burger with a truffle aioli, onion jam and deep fried honey and red chili dipped spicy goats cheese , aged with cheddar and spinach on a brioche bun.
- 1 cup Mayo
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and blend. Let sit in fridge minimum one hour.
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 3 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsps of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- Cook onion and garlic in pan with 1 tbsp of butter until translucent on medium heat
- Add sugar, remaining butter, and vinegar
- Cook until sugars caramelize constantly stirring.
- Finished when the onion makes a smooth dark brown jam
Fried goats cheese
- 90 ml of red pepper goats cheese
- 2 cups of panko
- 6 whisked eggs
- 3 tbsp spoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- Cut cheese into small 1/2cm thick disks 3 cm wide
- Dip in egg wash
- Roll in panko until covered
- Fully submerge cheese in oil heated to 350 dgrs for 1 minute or golden brown
- Pour honey and red chili flakes on top.
- 8oz of ground short rib
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch Heather s dirty good rub vintage
- Sprinkle salts, pepper and heathers rub on the patty
- Place on bbq and grill to medium well. Cook evenly both sides
- Toast both sides of the brioche buns
- Put it all between the buns in this order
- Aioli(one tablespoon a side), jam(2 tablespoons), patty, cheddar(aged white cheddar one slice), 3 balls of fried goats cheese, honey(I tablespoon), spinach(five leaves per burger).