Slash confirmed longstanding rumors that his mother, late costume designer Ola Hudson, had an affair with rock legend David Bowie when Slash was just a child. The former Guns N' Roses guitarist told Australia's Triple M radio, "My mom started working professionally with David Bowie at first. I'm pretty sure that's how it started and then it turned into some sort of mysterious romance that went on for a while after that." Slash added, "I caught them naked once. They had a lot of stuff going on, but my perspective at eight was limited. Looking back on it I knew exactly what was going on."
- Although that may have been awkward, Slash said he has fond memories of Bowie from that period, adding, "He was cool. I liked David a lot."
- Slash's mother designed stagewear for Bowie, John Lennon, Diana Ross and others.
- Slash spent many of his formative years living in Los Angeles with his mother, where he had a close-up view of the Hollywood music, film and art scene.
- Although much of this was chronicled in his 2007 memoir, he told us it would all have to be changed if anyone made a movie about his life: ["The one thing I wouldn't have them do or allow them to do would be to actually do the book with the characters in it, the way that they are in real life as far as who they are. You know, if you wanted to take the story and make up some people (laughs) and change the names and all that kind of stuff, and make everybody fictional, it could be interesting. But if you were gonna try and go, 'Okay, this is Slash and this is Axl (Rose) and this is Slash's mom, and this character's gonna play Scott (Weiland),' no, I wouldn't allow it."] SOUNDCUE (:25 OC: . . . wouldn't allow it.)
- Slash wraps up a tour of Australia this week, where he has been out behind Apocalyptic Love, his second solo album and the first recorded with his touring band, Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators.
- The group starts a U.S. tour on September 4th in San Diego.